NALC's newly elected Management Board of eleven elected councillors, tasked with oversight of NALC, met on 28 January, here's a summary:
- New members Cllr Paul Harvey (Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes) and Cllr Bob Blezzard (Isle of Wight) were welcomed to the Board along with the new vice-chairman (member services), Cllr Mike Drew (Avon)
- Councillors discussed their fiduciary roles as... Read More »
Posted: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 16:01 by Alison Robinson
Meeting of chairman and vice chairmen
The NALC newly elected chairman, Cllr Sue Baxter (Worcestershire), vice-chairman (finance), Cllr Keith Stevens (East Sussex), and vice-chairman (member services), Cllr Mike Drew (Avon), met this week with the NALC Chief Officer and the corporate management team to map out the priorities for the next two years, and how they would work together as a team to promote... Read More »
Posted: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 15:15 by Alison Robinson
Happy New Year and chairman's open letter
This is the first bulletin of the 2020, so on behalf of everyone at NALC happy and prosperous New Year! And in case you missed it just before Christmas, the NALC chairman, Cllr Sue Baxter, wrote a New Year open letter to all councillors about working together to build stronger communities. Sue's letter pays tribute to the work of councillors, explains how local... Read More »
Posted: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:00 by Alison Robinson
Mark Harris, GAPTC Executive Committee member, is our NALC representative and at the recent NALC National Assembly elections was voted on to the Larger Councils Committee.
Posted: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 16:13 by Anita Sach
Mr Tony Porter Surveillance Camera Commissioner
Date: December 2019
To: Parish, Town and Community Councils in England and Wales Dear Council
The operation of surveillance camera systems, the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and partnerships.
You will be aware that as a relevant authority as set out in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) you, as a local... Read More »
Posted: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 13:57 by Alison Robinson
· New HR policies and how to guides. These are being produced as part of the NALC partnership with HRSP. These documents will be available to county associations in early January and to be promoted to members from the beginning of February. The aim of this delay in promoting to members is to give everyone time to read the new materials.
· New employment contract guidance for council staff... Read More »
Posted: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 13:33 by Alison Robinson
In the last NALC Legal communication of the year, NALC wanted to wish you all a merry Christmas and a restful Christmas break.
With that in mind, and in honour of the Twelve Days of Christmas, here is their version.
On the first day of Christmas (well in the last 12 months) the Legal Team sent to you….
560 written advices (not all of them involving the Local Government Act 1894)
566 telephone advices... Read More »
Posted: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 15:41 by Alison Robinson
Building stronger communities was the theme of October's NALC Annual Conference where Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal, paid tribute to England's 100,000 councillors for all the work they do for their places. And I want to add my own thanks and appreciation, and wish you all the very best for the new decade ahead.
Right across the country, our local (parish and town) councils have been building... Read More »
Posted: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:25 by Alison Robinson
What can be found in our latest newsletter sent to our member councils:
- Disciplinary and Grievance arrangements – updated guidance and policies
- Consultation on strengthening police powers to tackle unauthorised encampments
- Section 137 limit for 2020/21
- Confidential minutes
- Funding for replacements for ash trees
- Clarification that local councils cannot fund repairs to church property
- Declaring an interest... Read More »
Posted: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:51 by Alison Robinson
Section 137 limit for 2020-21
Last week the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) notified our sector that the appropriate sum for Section 137(4)(a) of the Local Government Act 1972 (the 1972 Act) for parish and town councils in England for 2020-21 is £8.32 per elector – you can read more here.
NALC Smaller Councils Committee
NALC's Smaller Councils Committee met on... Read More »
Posted: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 16:15 by Alison Robinson