NALC Chief Executive's bulletin
Section 137 limit for 2020-21
Last week the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) notified our sector that the appropriate sum for Section 137(4)(a) of the Local Government Act 1972 (the 1972 Act) for parish and town councils in England for 2020-21 is £8.32 per elector – you can read more here.
NALC Smaller Councils Committee
NALC's Smaller Councils Committee met on 26 November at the NALC offices, here are a few highlights:
- The Committee received an update on website accessibility requirements and provided feedback on how this would impact on smaller councils
- The NALC CEO shared with the Committee a draft survey to inform the upcoming review of the Joint Practitioners Advisory Group (JPAG) guidance and received some helpful comments which will be incorporated
- The Committee gave feedback on a number of questions from NALC's survey which will inform the submission to the Redmond Review of local authority financial reporting and audit
- A discussion on the Rural Coalition's election briefing and the Rural Services Network (RSN) commentary on the Government's response to the House of Lords Rural Economy report
- The Committee flagged up a range of issues to be considered for the work programme next year
NALC's elections are taking place on 11 December at the National Assembly, the governing body with a representative from each county association.
NALC have received nominations for all our governing committees. Elections will be required for the vice-chairman (member services), six vacancies for Management Board, seven vacancies for Policy Committee, and five vacancies for Finance and Scrutiny Committee. Please click here for more information.
Blog response to community power
Amidst the current manifesto talk there is a frisson of excitement in the world of think tanks of interest to us about the concept of 'community power'. You can read my response on how local councils can play a key role in delivering community power on the NALC blog here.
Posted: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 16:15 by Alison Robinson