NALC update - from Jonathan Owen (Chief Executive)
Parkrun consultation response
The government this week published their parkrun consultation response, which concluded that legislation is not necessary at this point. In the NALC written response to last year's consultation, NALC strongly opposed the introduction of any measures which will remove the ability of local (parish and town) councils to charge for park-based activities including Parkrun. However, the government remains of the view that local authorities should not charge Parkrun or other organisations that currently provide free-to-enter running events, and intends to publish non-statutory guidance which will make very clear that local authorities should never charge for local Parkrun events. NALC will be liaising further with officials and ministers on this issue.
NALC Study Tour 2019
If you want to attend next year's Study Tour act now as there are just a handful of places left! You can join NALC's Larger Councils Committee for their visit to Bishop's Stortford Town Council in Hertfordshire on 10 and 11 June 2019, where the theme is community transport and adult social care support services, alongside showcasing how the council manages its wider portfolio and the challenges it faces.
Finance and Scrutiny Committee
The Finance and Scrutiny Committee met on 12 December, here are a few highlights in advance of the minutes being available:
- The committee received the half-year accounts showing a surplus which is ahead of budget, due largely to an increase in membership affiliations received and due to savings from staff changes
- It was pleasing to note that all the affiliations due had been received
- The head of policy and communications outlined the position for income generations from campaigns, commercial Income and events.
- The risk register was reviewed and three additional areas were added for consideration
Updated legal guidance and briefing
- A new briefing on Section 137 Expenditure: Limit for 2019/2020 (login required) is now available, with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) confirming the appropriate sum for local (parish and town) councils for 2019/20 is £8.12.
- In addition, Legal Topic Notes (LTN) on Handling Complaints [England] (login required) and Data Protection (login required) have been updated. LTN 9E on Handling Complaints [England] has a link to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman guidance on complaints procedures for principal authorities on paragraph one. LTN 38 on Data Protection has been reissued take account of all the changes to the data protection regime including the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018.
- The link to employment briefing on the 2019/20 National Salary Award (login required) has been corrected and the briefing updated to clarify how hourly rates are calculated.
Thanks to everyone for their help and support over the course of the year – councils, county associations, councillors and council staff, plus our partners and stakeholders – Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!
Posted: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:03 by Alison Robinson