1. Skip to content

We use cookies to improve your online experience. For information on the cookies we use and for details on how we process your personal information, please see our privacy policy. By continuing to use our website you consent to us using cookies. OK, Thanks

Alison Robinson

Chief Executive Officer: Alison Robinson
Cranham House (the OPEX
Building), Falcon Close, Green
Farm Business Park, Gloucester

Performance Rights Society

Posted: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:04 by Alison Robinson

Some clerks have been in contact with GAPTC to inform us that PRS (Performance Rights Society) are doing the rounds and suggesting that local councils require a PRS licence over and above a public entertainment licence (PEL) if music is being played in your buildings.

PRS approached a larger council and were adamant that even though they had a PEL they also require a PRS licence for copyright purposes. This was despite the clerk informing them that they only hire out the building, and are not responsible for the playing of music, have no control on the music played and do not supply any equipment to play the music. However the representative from PRS still remained adamant that a licence was required. However, PRS have called the clerk back to say a PRS licence is NOT required.

Please be aware that if all you do is hire out a venue you have no responsibility for the music, including hiring the music system which is the important bit, you do not need a PRS licence.

Tags: Performance Rights Society, PRS